Ammonite

Ammonite

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Mackinac Island, MI

On my trip back to Michigan I visited Mackinac Island for the first time. I rode past it dozens of times as a kid, when my family and I were on our way to Wisconsin but for some reason or another we never were able to stop and see it.
It was AWESOME! I really, really enjoyed it, and will almost certainly be back. The little downtown was great with all the touristy things necessary to keep people like me happy. More fudge shops than you could shake a stick at (whatever that means), AND we found a bar serving Michigan's own  Bell's Oberon microbrew for only $2.50 a pint! Score.The rest of the island is beautiful coastlines, nature, water, sweeping vistas of the Mackinac Bridge, exquisite sunsets...you name it! It was just great.
And the fact that no cars or motor vehicles are allowed really offered a unique experience. It was so quiet, but at the same time you could hear the quaint sound of horse shoes clicking at almost any time. It was like going back in time. Transportation options were: horse and buggy taxi, a bicycle, or your own two feet. And that's not just for tourists either. That goes for everyone who lives and works on the island except emergency response vehicles. Isn't that something? I saw inventory being delivered to Starbucks by horse and buggy, and garbage "truck" horse and buggy. There are still street sweepers there too!
Anyway, if you ever have the chance to go I highly recommend it. And if you can take the 8 mile bike ride around the island. It doesn't take long and it's really beautiful!



















Here are some of my best shots. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment