Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Packers Last Second Victory!

An amazing Jennings interception!!!
I've been trying for an hour to think of what I want to say and how I want to say it. But every time I think about the game last night I just get angry and all the things I feel like saying...well, primarily involve using the same four letter word in all it's versatility as a noun, verb, adverb, adjective, as well as in its traditional expletive form. In short not very nice. I thought a nights sleep would help alleviate some of my frustration, but it has not. Especially after reading the NFL's official statement this morning. An injustice has been done, a trust has been betrayed by the owners of the NFL, and the integrity of my favorite game has been compromised. To say I am angry is an understatement. But I'm going to try again to voice my thoughts because someone has to stand up for "my" guys and "my" team.
Now I am sure all non-sports fans are thinking "so what? whats the big deal?" but let me explain it to you. First of all there are only 16 games in the season, so even one loss could ruin the Packers chance for any post season. Divisions are won, and wild card spots are often acquired, on the difference of a single game. So yes, it's a big deal.
Second, even though it's a game, a trust has been broken. Not by the replacement refs (who are just pawns in this awful mess), but by the owners, and Roger Goodell. I don't care if it's about football, or anything else, when a person or party you trust and respect breaks their promise to you, and goes back on their word, it becomes personal. I'm not so upset for myself. But I feel especially protective of my team, and they guys on it. I hate that MY Packers have to play on in this mess. I hate that they went back on the field for the final point after. Shame on whoever in the Packers management made them do it. I'd rather the Packers maintain their integrity than show supposed "class" by participating in something everyone and god knew was wrong. It was insulting to me and most importantly to them.
Across the NFL all our players are being forced to participate in a game that is no longer fair, and they have no choice but to accept decisions made by people who are unqualified and indisputably WRONG. Never should we bow to what is wrong, I don't care who says it, or what the situation is. Not in politics, not in personal life, not in football. If it's wrong it's wrong. Period. I don't think the Packers players should accept the loss just because a ref didn't understand the rules. It was the wrong call, it was unjust, and they should not be compelled by their owners or contracts to go along with something that goes explicitly against the rules stated by the governing entity they are employed by. What kind of example does that set for the millions of kids who watch their favorite team every Sunday? What does that make them think about their role models when they see some of them accept without comment what they shouldn't, while others, clearly cheating, take credit for something they didn't do? There is a principle being trampled on here, in front of millions of people, and I think it's a discredit to everyone involved, and horribly insulting to the players and coaches to even ask them to keep playing under the circumstances. The more I think about it, the more angry I get. It's like the NFL has become some kind of weird dictatorship funded by greedy, selfish men, ruled over by Goodell, and enforced by incompetent and unqualified generals, and no one has any choice but to bow down to them, keep their mouth shut and keep playing. For those of us who love the game it is a devastating blow to the integrity of something that we trusted and admired, and it has destroyed the essence of what the NFL is about.
The Pack worked hard to come back, and we won the game fair and square with a glorious interception at the last second! I can't even even begin to understand how the NFL is still justifying it's position that the Seattle won. They know they are wrong, EVERYBODY knows they are wrong, but they are not going to take responsibility for it. Roger Goodell had a chance when they released their official statement this morning, and he failed to do the right thing. And maybe that is what angers me the most, that those with the authority  are not owning up to their responsibility. The right thing to do is for the NFL to get the real refs back on the field, have a press conference and apologize to ALL of the players, coaches, and fans (particularly kids), and to officially to recall the win by Seattle and rightfully award it to the Packers. In my opinion, that is the ONLY way they can fix this and retain any integrity. I know it would be unprecedented, but you know what? So is a quarterback winning a game by throwing an interception in the end zone. So is the NFL releasing a statement saying that the call was correct, when it clearly wasn't. Two wrongs don't make a right, and the NFL should be ashamed for lying to the fans to cover up their mess. How can they expect players to take ownership of their mistakes (i.e. the Saints bounty scandal) if the Big Shots won't take responsibility for theirs? How can it justify fining players for breaking the rules (like not wearing NFL licensed merchandise in post game interviews, or tweeting out against the NFL) but turn a blind eye to the multitude of rules that have been wrongly called and enforced by their own hired referees? It's ludicrous. The NFL ownership has become an untrustworthy band of hypocrites, with Roger Goodell as their front man and it disgusts me.

It's like this. How would we feel if suddenly every cop in the country was replaced with shopping mall security guards? AND they had no accountability to the law other than their own personal understanding of what it is. AND they got to be judge and jury and there was no recourse for those accused once the verdict had been made against us? AND the government wouldn't step in to free us even though they know we wrongly accused?!? WTF? Surely we can all see that would be a grievous crime against us all. And I feel pretty certain that none of us would sit back idly and let it happen. Well, that is what the NFL is doing, and getting away with it!
But what to do? I'd boycott watching the games, but it's not our players and coaches who have let us down. Still maybe it's the right thing to do. The coaches and players are stuck, but we as fans could maybe do something if we could just stick together and stand in solidarity. As long as the owners are making money they don't care whether what is happening is right or wrong. But if we could all collectively impact their profits, maybe that would get their attention. It would be a beautiful thing if all the fans from all 32 teams found a way to stand together to defend OUR game and OUR players against blatant injustice. I've often wished I could really be part of the team. I'm sure a lot of other fans have too. Well, maybe it's finally our chance to contribute. I just wish I knew how.
I know it may seem like I'm overreacting and I guess it's your right to have that opinion. But here's the thing. If you mess with my family, or my football team, know that I will defend them until you and I both draw our last breath. And know that yours will probably be coming first.

P.S. Just for the record, I do not accept last nights game as a  Packers loss. I don't care what anyone says. It will always and forever go down in my books as a glorious comeback for an AWESOME last second interception and win. I'm proud of ALL the guys for playing a great second half, for never giving up, and for sealing an amazing victory in the end. Well done boys!!!

2 comments:

  1. I KNEW you would write about this and was praying you wouldn't implode (or explode) or die from frustration. I am relieved to see you've lived to write again. Go Packers. Go Jamie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dying of frustration was a very real possibility...

    ReplyDelete