Ammonite

Ammonite

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

What's It Worth To You?

One of the victims. (borrowed from LA Times website)
I don't consider myself a "tree hugger", but I am still pretty appalled by the fact that 400 trees are going to be cut down along the streets of LA to make room for the Space Shuttle Endeavour to get from wherever it is now to it's new home at the California Science Center. As if LA isn't ugly enough, now it's going to have 400 fewer trees.
Not 10 or 35, or a hundred even, but 400 trees, many of which are older growth trees. The plan is to plant twice as many more to make up for cutting them down. But I'll tell you, if someone came down my street and told me they were going to cut down the beautiful, shady, gigantic trees in front of my house, and plant two little saplings in place of each one, I would still be devastated. I'd be heart broken. Trees make ugly places pretty, and give a little relief to the endless miles of concrete. I just can't wrap my head around it.
I'm not saying that it wouldn't be awesome to have the shuttle at the Science Center, I'm just saying I feel like there has to be another way, and if there's not that it's not worth cutting down 400 trees. Why not cut the wings off the shuttle (which is not alive and converting CO2 into oxygen) and re-attach them at the science center? I don't think there are any plans to make it fly again, so what would be the big deal? Sure it would be a bunch of labor, but so would planting 800 trees I think.
Anyway, I don't know why this irks me so. It just does.

1 comment:

  1. I was just talking to a friend. He was in a plane on the tarmac, in LA and their flight had been held up from landing while some kind of stuff was going on with the shuttle landing. He was hoping he hadn't missed his connection to Hawaii. That old shuttle!!! They should have left it right where it was and made a museum out of it there.

    ReplyDelete