Ammonite

Ammonite

Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Black Hole of Racism

The greeting card mega-giant Hallmark had to pull a "talking card" off the shelves today after the NAACP called it racist. I was intrigued by the headline and so read the article. It makes me sad that a card clearly written (and spoken) about space is being called racist. The problem is that apparently the words "black hole" spoken by the character voice of the card sounds to some like "black whore". The NAACP says "It's passive intent aggressively stated in a way that makes African-Americans feel insulted."
The graduation card referenced the world, then the planets, and then black holes, as a means of inspiring kids to take on the universe, and stay out of trouble. Space, as far as I know is not racially biased.
This is unfortunate. Not because I think racism is a thing of the past, or because I think there aren't racist people in the world, but because situations like this are exactly what cause tension, and feelings of division. There becomes an "us" and a "them" when there really isn't. And the separation is based on superficial practically non-existent differences between peoples of darker and lighter colored skin!
The level of sensitivity to what is obviously just a random coincidence is, to me, alarming. If there is this much tension over a card, then what else is simmering in the minds of people concerning race? How will we as a species ever move beyond the arcane idea of racism, if we can't let it go? It's a predicament. Should I be more careful in what I say? Should I stop saying any words that might be misheard or misunderstood for fear of offending one or another ethnic/cultural group? I feel like if I were to do that, it would somehow imply my guilt of being aware that there was some ill feeling in me (which there is not.) What would be the outcome if everyone in the scientific community took extra pains from now on to iterate "black hole" with emphasis on the "L" every time they spoke the word? Would that improve the situation, and promote good will? I doubt it. I understand that people have the right to protect their dignity, but in this instance I believe the argument was totally unwarented. No matter the intention, from now on, every time I hear the term back hole I am going to think of racism, and that should not be the case. If people see racism everywhere (for or against themselves) there is no hope for abolishing it.
If the card said "white holes" and it sounded like "white whores" I would have though it funny. I wouldn't have been insulted. I do not harbor suspicion that Hallmark is a male chauvinist plot to undermine women. Ha I probably would have bought and given it to one of my friends as a birthday card joke. But maybe that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment