Ammonite

Ammonite

Friday, June 11, 2010

Mark Twain on the Brain

Have you ever discovered something that was right in front of you the whole time but for some reason you never saw it? Me too. What have I discovered? It's more of a who: Mark Twain!
I can't say for absolutely sure, but I spent an hour yesterday reading some of his short stories and I totally love them. I like the ol' west accent he uses in his writing, and I like the subjects he writes about and his (sometimes) irreverent humor. Makes me think of the gold rush days here in California, and for some reason I have always had a soft spot for that era in the states history.
I tried Borders yesterday for a specific book entitled "Letters from the Earth" but they didn't have it. They had fourteen editions of Huck Finn, but not any of Twain's less known works. I am going to try the used bookstore today.
Have any of you read any Mark Twain? Any thoughts on specific books, or whether or not you liked him? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. I will let you borrow his autobiography next time I come up. It's brilliant, one of my favorite books. I've also read "Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc" which I really liked ...

    ReplyDelete