Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Healthy With a Chance of Meatballs

I have been on a bit of a cooking kick the last couple of weeks. I haven't made my beets yet, but yesterday I made a most delicious dinner that I must share with you all. It was amazing! And I know I didn't make it up as an original dish, but I made up my own recipe. If you think you can handle eating something really healthy and liking it, you should give this a try the first chance you get. OK, so what is this super-good-for-you-and-yummy-at-the-same-time meal? Spaghetti squash and meatballs of course!Squash has almost no fat, and is high in vitamin A, B, and C. It has a mere 42 calories per cup versus traditional spaghetti pasta which has about 220 calories!

How to make it:
The sauce was simple (but to make it even easier you can just buy tomato sauce in a jar) tomato, chives, water, olive oil, garlic, dried parsley and oregano. Then I bought low fat turkey meatballs in the frozen section of the grocery store. I baked the squash for 40 min at 350 degrees in about an inch of water. (Many of the recipes I looked at today say bake for 20 min face down and 20 min face up, but I left it down the whole time and it turned out fine.) Heat the meatballs and tomato sauce in a pot, and after the squash is done and removed from the skin with a fork, you just pour sauce over it and POOF! Healthy dinner is served. (Oh, I salt and pepper the squash before I mix it with the sauce. You can use a little butter too, and garnish with Parmesan cheese.)
It's really tasty, and filling. And REALLY easy. It might be more of a fall winter dish, but it is a good replacement for a "pasta night" anytime. If you've never tried it be brave and give it a go!

2 comments:

  1. This looks really amazing, I am definitely going to try it. Lately I've been making a "tofu marinara" which is really just a block of extra-firm tofu sliced into squares, lightly fried (just spray down the pan with some olive oil and fry for like 2 min's on each side), and then 1 cup of Trader Joe's traditional marinara mixed in...it makes a piping hot, quick, lo-cal late night snack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except for the tofu part that sounds delicious:)Ha ha...I thought this would be a good recipe for you because it's not too difficult (or expensive) to get grass fed/pastured ground beef, and meatballs are super easy to make.(They also freeze well, so you could make a bunch and then only eat a couple at a time.)

    ReplyDelete