Ammonite

Ammonite

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Spermaceti...It's Not What You Think

I was reading a really interesting article about ancient ocean predators, the giant Leviathans and Megalodons, and came across the the mysterious substance of spermaceti.
Spermaceti is a waxy substance found in large cavities within the heads of whales. It was originally thought to be actual sperm hence the name (and the origin of how sperm whales got their name also).
It was used in the past as an ingredient for cosmetics (I may never wear lipstick again) and candles.
The interesting thing to me about it is that no one knows what it's purpose is. My first thought was that it has something to do with buoyancy control, but it appears that scientist already thought of that, and it's not the best fitting hypothesis but it's still a possibility. But what else could a head of wax be good for? I can't imagine.
It must do something though. For it to have such a prominent position in the head, and to be present in such large quantities tells you something. (We just aren't sure what yet.)
If anyone figures it out please let me know:)

No comments:

Post a Comment