Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Recycled Island?


I just stumbled upon this, and thought it coincidental because I have been thinking about posting a blog on the Pacific Gyre, or Great Pacific Garbage Patch (although what is so great about it I don't know). I still might post something about it at a later date, but in the mean time this is one Dutch Architectural firms idea about how to fix the problem. Without having thought much about the feasibility of it, I think it's a pretty sweet and innovative idea. It looks cool, and we all know plastic floats, so why not? I wouldn't leave it in the current location of the garbage patch because all that swirling around would make me barf. Maybe they should attach it to giant cables, one connected to San Francisco, and the other to Japan, so the island can float back and forth across the ocean. I say if you are gonna make a plastic island, you may as well attach giant cables to it. Wouldn't that be fun? I'd buy a condo there!
Or maybe we should start using plastic for space travel? Once we clear the atmosphere wouldn't a giant plastic spaceship work? Sure it won't fend off the Death Star, but last I checked Star Wars still wasn't real. Or what else could we do with a pile of plastic the size of Texas?
What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I love idea's like this. I think the world would be so much more interesting if there was money to do crazy things like this, things that aren't always practical but are just awesome. I keep saying that NASA should give us like 10 million dollars at JPL to just build crazy awesome stuff that interacts with the public, like robots that climb the trees and a giant holograph room where visitors can tour the solar system. You know, just awesome things, for no real reason other than to blow peoples minds, which I actually think is one of the best reasons to do something.

    ReplyDelete