Ammonite

Ammonite

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Oh Baby!

I know we as a country outsource a lot of of our call centers to India, but I was unaware that some of us have also begun outsourcing our pregnancies. It's hard to believe that people living here can have an Indian woman, whom they have never met, give birth to their child half way around the world. But apparently that is exactly what our advances in technology have recently allowed us to do.
I don't know what I think about this. I don't have a problem with surrogates. I think it's a great option for men and women who could not otherwise have kids. But there is something...not right about having a stranger (instead of a family member, or close friend) half way around the world carry your baby around in their body. I wouldn't leave my child with some random person after it was born, so why would I leave it with them beforehand? And then is the child born considered an American or Indian?
I can't really think of any overwhelming reasons why this is a bad idea, but my guts are telling me that it is. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment