Ammonite

Ammonite

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Sort-of Secret Garden

The garden (or back yard) of my Aunt's house is really beautiful. And although it's much bigger, it kind of reminds me of The Secret Garden by Frances Burnett. You know the story about Mary, Dicken, and Collin, and the garden behind the stone wall where they played and tamed the wild roses and watched crocuses sprout from the earth in delight? It has that ancient half wild half refined feel to it that is really romantic and charming. I would love to have a garden like that!
The space is bounded by two ancient stone walls on either side, the house at the front, and the river at the back. When my Aunt and Uncle moved in they had a landscape architect design the layout and style. The right side was left "wild" to natures tangle of bushes and plants, while the middle was planted with a few fruit trees and a beautiful Holly tree that looks spectacular under a fine dusting of snow. And the left side was sculpted into little gardens of  roses and other plants, stone walkways and even a little arch. It's quite relaxing to take a stroll around the yard, and look at all the plants. And it's pretty no matter what the weather. Even in the rain! If I lived there I'd probably do it every day. And in the summer I imagine that it would be lovely to sit in a lawn chair by the river. The "beach" and little boat ramp always remind me of the VonTrapp home in The Sound of Music. It's very European.
This particular winter was very mild, so many of her plants had already begun to bud. And then on my second to last day there it finally snowed! Her back yard that had been so green the day before was suddenly turned to white, and I felt a familiar longing for Christmas. Here are a few photos so you can see for yourself!









No comments:

Post a Comment