Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, February 27, 2012

Tough Time with Chaos

I've been slogging (is that even a word?) through my book for book club with little success. The title is Chaos, by James Gleick. I wrote a post about it last week, and was feeling optimistic at the time, but since then my attention span has dwindled to nearly nothing, and I can barely read five pages at a time without thinking that I'd rather be organizing the junk under my kitchen sink, or cleaning out the trunk of my car (two things I normally HATE doing).
Usually I make it though any subject, so it's surprising to me that I'm having such a hard time reading this. I don't even think it's poorly written (it got great reviews and was a best seller). I guess it's just me. Maybe it's because it's my second physics book in a row, and I'm just not as smart (or perceptive) as I'd like to think I am.
BUT while I might be forced to face the truth that I'd be lost beyond all hope if I were to try to make it through the book, it doesn't me that I must accept defeat in my goal to learn a little something about Chaos.
I had to do a little thinking outside the box but I finally found a solution to my delema. I probably won't finish reading the book, but as an alternative, I discovered a lecture series on Chaos at the library, and am on #8 of 24. And it's fantastic! Everything (I think) that Gleick covers in his book is in the lectures, but there are a lot more pictures, and simulations, and I'm finally getting it! I guess you could argue it's cheating, but I disagree. even in the context of a "book club". I think 24 lectures about makes up for not finishing half a book:)
So I just wanted to throw this out there, that if you have any interest in learning about chaos, I'd definitely recommend the series titles Chaos, that is put out by The Teaching Company. It's pretty good stuff, and much more visually oriented.

2 comments:

  1. I look in my closet to learn things about chaos. It works well. (or maybe I'm just learning about me...) And I know exactly how you feel about that book because it's happened to me with other books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I'm sure there are lots of parallels that can be drawn between our closets at chaos! What a great way to look at it:)If anyone asks why I didn't finish the book I'm going to say it was because I was performing an experiment in my closet:)

    ReplyDelete