Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Wine and Cheese Tasting: Alsace

During my trip to France I only had time to do two wine tastings and one cheese tasting! What can I say I was very busy. It's a bit of a shame really, but then again, I had so many other things going on that I would have hated to give something else up.
The wine was good. All of it was dry, and white. We tried regional wines, and that made it special, since we were actually there. But the highlight for me was the cheese..or cheeses rather. They were...well, they are so different from the kinds you find here in the states that it's hard to compare them really. Here in the U.S. of A., you take a bite of cheddar, and it's hard to believe that it's made by a bacterial process. Take a bite of cheese (any cheese) in France however, and it seems overwhelmingly probable that it was made by some or another process involving prokaryotes. Even the mild ones have a different, more earthy taste. It's not bad, it's just very different.  I ate one cheese (a brie apparently) that tasted like the air inside a WWII submarine. And I had one that tasted how a tadpole pond smells just before it dries up. While that sounds like it would be terrible, it's kind of fascinating to eat things that you normally associate with your olfactory senses. I think it's a little like mushrooms (ha ha...the normal kind), and how they can taste like a forest. I can appreciate eating something that tastes like a dark, green, rainy grove of trees. It's an experience of a sort. But enough chit chat. Here are a few photos from the tasting we did in Colemar.








No comments:

Post a Comment