Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

An Apple a Day

My apple.

I have been eating a lot of apples lately. I don't really know why. I guess it's partly because they are one of the least messy fruits to eat at work, partly because they come in enough "flavors" to keep it interesting, and maybe finally because there is always that one bite that for some reason reminds me of visiting the cider mill in the fall when I was a kid, and eating a delicious deep fried donut;)
Anyway, I got to thinking about it as I was munching away on a particularly delicious specimen, and decided to do a little searching on  the internet to see what else I could learn about apples. Here are a few "fun" facts:

The crabapple is the only apple native to North America.
There are 7,500 kinds of apple grown throughout the world.
Apple science is called pomology.
Apples are fat, sodium and cholesterol free!
Apple trees originate from the region between the Black and Caspian Seas.
Apples are a member of the rose family.
Humans have been eating apples for at least 6,500 years.
One medium size apple has about 80 calories.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe it - I do this too. I take an apple to work every day and eat it on the way home so I don't fall asleep driving (and because it's good for me in other ways too). If they're small, I eat two. In between bites I eat peanuts from a gallon size can I buy at Sam's - the can lasts about two weeks. I think we have some of the same genetic predispositions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right;) And as the saying goes, apples don't fall far from the tree. Pun intended;)

    ReplyDelete