Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The One That Got Away

It was a windy Thursday afternoon when I saw it though the glass. As soon as I clapped my eyes on it I knew I wanted it. It was sitting patiently, alone and silent, just waiting for the right person to come along. It needed  someone with an eye for beauty and simplicity. It was a perfect specimen if I ever saw one. Clean lines, delicate golden color spanning the wheel from yellow through burnt ocher, enhanced by the sun to the point of almost truly glowing. It sang to me a sweet song, drawing me in, as I wrestled with my emotions. Should I or shouldn't I? It was would be a frivolous purchase, an "impulse" buy as they say. But I wanted it so desperately! In the end I walked away. I told myself I did the right thing, and that it would have only bring me heartache in the end. I even thought I was proud of myself for being so strong in the face of such unimaginable temptation. But I was wrong.
These several days later I am now certain that I will, for the rest of my life, regret not buying that isosceles shaped paragon of Italian genius. Sigh....I'll never forget that beautiful piece of cheese pizza, and how it called to me. With a tear in my eye I formally recognize the slice that got away.


No comments:

Post a Comment