Ammonite

Ammonite

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Girls Rule!

I went to kickboxing class tonight. The "all levels" class was a little late today, from 7:30 to 8:30. I don't really like to have an intense workout so late because then I can't sleep, but that's how it goes sometimes.
On Monday when my BF and I went, and sparred with each other (like we have been doing since we began), I came home with bruises on both my forearms from the straps of the pads that we hold when the other person is practicing their punches and kicks, and a few bloody knuckles. They didn't hurt (my arms), and I didn't even know I'd gotten them till I saw them in the morning. But anyway tonight we met another couple and the guy asked my BF if he'd like to partner up and then I would be partners with his girlfriend.
I wasn't so stoked about that because while the girl was about my height she was about half my weight. So besides from being a teeny bit jealous of her physique, I was also fairly certain that if I punched and kicked as hard as I have been I'd probably knock her over. But I felt bad that my BF was holding back with me, and I thought maybe it would be nice for him to get to go all out with this other big guy....
I was correct in my assumptions about the girl. She was really nice, but...it was like her limbs were feathers and  it seemed like if  I even breathed hard she sort of swayed. Have you ever read where a woman is described as a "slip of a  thing"? That was this girl.
After class though I was surprised when my BF said that he never wanted to switch partners again. I hadn't been watching him, so I asked why. He informed me that I was "a hundred times tougher" that the guy (who was about 6' tall!) that he'd partnered with. That made me smile...well, I guess it was more of a smirk of satisfaction, but anyway. Ha! I knew it! I may not be super big, or a DUDE, but I am no wimp either. I am a geologist for crying out loud. Not that you necessarily have to be tough to study rocks, but well...I do think it requires a certain amount of...something.
In a way it was kind of a wasted class because neither of us got any really good practicing in, but at the same time I think we will both appreciate sparring with each other more in the future, so maybe it was worth it;)
Maybe I enjoy getting pedicures, maybe I have too many pink clothes, and maybe I bruise a little easily, but that doesn't mean that I can't take a punch or throw one. Girls rule.


1 comment: