Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Griffith Observatory

The Griffith Observatory
Over last weekend, part of my family, my BF and I went up to the Griffith Observatory to have a look around. Built on the south slope of Mount Hollywood on land donated to the city by one Col. Griffith J. Griffith (ha ha), it officially opened it's doors in 1935 and has been an LA attraction ever since.
We went at about 9:00 pm on a Saturday night and the place was packed! There were people everywhere! And with good reason. Not only are the views of the city spectacular, but there is also a fantastic (free!) museum inside that has all sorts of great space related fun stuff. From real meteors to scales revealing your weight on all of the 9 planets...I mean 8 planets and 1 "dwarf planet" (i.e.Pluto), there is something interesting for everyone!
Of course I snapped a few pictures along the way;) Take a look! And if you are ever in the LA area, I highly recommend this as an early evening/ nighttime "must-see"! I bet it would be beautiful at sunset...

View of LA from Observatory

LA nighttime.

Me and sign



Crystals and fossils...Awesome!

All about telescopes!

How it works

This kind of telescope discovered the moons of Jupiter!

Self portrait in thermal camera. 

Earth can be seen in the upper left between the rings!


Ouch!

Saturn and it's rings. Main exhibit Hall

My buddy Einstein and I.

My weight on Pluto. Yesss!

La Lune

Blame Neil DeGrasse Tyson;)


1 comment:

  1. I love going to the Griffith Observatory every time I'm in LA, so obviously I'm a bit envious right now. Looks like you had a great time :-)

    ReplyDelete