Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, May 14, 2012

I-5 Southbound

Many people find the drive along I-5 through the San Joaquin Valley of central California to be long and tedious. And while it's true that there isn't much in the way of towns or people along the route, I still think it is a beautiful drive, and find that I really enjoy it the couple times a year I find myself on it. Of course I wasn't the one driving since I was too busy taking pictures, so I am sure that makes a difference, but I have always thought the Central Valley is beautiful in a distinctly California way. From the orchards, to the treeless hills, it's got a very no-nonsense, salt-of-the earth, home-grown kind of feel to it. And I love the different looks it has depending on the time of day. From cool and clear to sweltering and hazy and all the angles of light and shadows in between, the landscape takes on hues and "personalities" that are somehow comforting and quaint, while at the same time picturesque and charming. The sun both ascends and descends into the mountains that flank the valley. In the morning as it rises it is a celebration of a new adventure. In the evening when it sets it is a much anticipated relief from the dry dusty wind, and the blazing heat.
Here is the first set of photo's from my trip southbound. So come take a ride along the I-5 with me! 

Eastbound 152

San Luis Reservoir

The Sierra Nevada Mountains

Sunrise over the Sierra

Morning arrives in the San Joaquin Valley!

My favorite grassy hills

Fields and hills

Classic valley scene

Baby trees!

Wine spheres...I mean grapes:)

Erosional gully

Orchards

Sheeps!

Hey, it's hay!

More vineyards

Grassy field of happy cows.

No comments:

Post a Comment