Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Sacramento


Yesterday I had to drive up to Sacramento to drop something off for work, only to turn around and head home right after. It was a five hour round trip. I don't mind days like that though, in fact I actually really enjoy them. I LOVE road trips and to spend the majority my work day in my car, listening to music (and singing along;), with the windows down taking in the scents and sights, while criss-crossing California is the best! Yesterday my travels took me across the eastern Coast Ranges (i.e. East Bay Hills), over the San Francisco Bay in Benicia, along side the river delta formed by the convergence of the major river systems of the Central Valley, and into the Valley itself.
I decided as I got closer to Sacramento that I could probably gauge how far away from the city I was without road signs by using a combination of how hot the air felt, and how dry my eyeballs were becoming. It gets progressively hotter and dryer the closer you get. Right when you think you can't take either anymore, you are there. Sacramento lies on the bank of the Sacramento River, and in my opinion, on the edge of insanity.
An image formed in my mind likening California to the solar system. The San Francisco Bay area, where I live, lies within the "habitable zone", the equivalent of Earth. Moving inland through the mountains I pass through the Venus and Mercury analogs, towns with names like Livermore, Walnut Creek and Fairfield. And then as I descend from the mountains into the expansive flat of the valley and set the cruise control on my car, the heat increases exponentially by the foot as I head straight into the sun. Into Sacramento.
Sure I'm exaggerating a little, and I am sure it's not always blazing hot there, but I believe the summer temperatures more than blot whatever nice winter days there are. In the orchards surrounding the city trees have to have their trunks painted white so keep them from getting sunburned! Anywhere where trees need sunscreen is too hot for me. They grow rice near Saramento too. But at least it is in water.
Yet Sacramento is the state capitol and there is a beautiful, bustling downtown full of tall buildings, people and oak shaded streets. As I hurried along the sidewalk with my delivery, I never appreciated the latter more. Under the canopy, hidden from the sun, it was cool, and comfortable. I couldn't believe what a difference the shade made. As the Valley fever moistened my forehead, and dripped sweat down my back the coolness of the air under the trees wicked it away and revived me.
I had never been to the capital, so after dropping off my package I decided to take a few minutes and have a look around. I brought my camera with that purpose in mind, and did a brief 10 minute jogging tour of the capital on my way back to my car and home. Here are some of my photos!











1 comment:

  1. Love the descriptive comparisons. .. and the photos!

    ReplyDelete