Ammonite

Ammonite

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Dinner Party Success!


I had my Leif Erickson soiree last night, and it went off without a hitch! It was super fun! I really like making up new recipes and trying things out. And I was finally able to use my little amuse bouche dishes I got from my mom from France 3 or 4 years ago! For those of you who don't know what amuse bouche dishes are (I certainly did not before I got them) they are little single appetizer dishes, and they come in all shapes and sizes (see the white dishes below). The food came out pretty well (see above for menu, and below for photos). My idea with the food was a more sophisticated version of classic "bar" food, (i.e., wings, pretzels, hot dogs, etc.) since we were drinking beer. And we tried a bunch or really neat beers too. The most unusual was called Saison de Buff, and it was made with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. And boy could you taste it! It wasn't something I'd drink a bottle of, but the small glass I had paired well with my cheese appetizer, and I bet it would be great for cooking.
We also tried a couple pumpkin ales, and a few other seasonal beers. It's clear why they are considered fall brews. They were all of the darker variety, and nutty, with hits of fall spices, and even a little smokiness. I generally prefer IPA's, but it was nice to change things up a bit. And I have a couple extra bottles left over that I am going to save for Thankstoberfestoween! Hooray!
We ate, and drank, and even watched a History Channel documentary about Leif Erickson! All in all it was a really fun night, and a nice first ever Leif Erickson Day celebration!
Here are some photo's from the "party" (lol, there were really only three of us, my mom, my friend Kelly and I.)

Ambiance

The Menu

My pumpkin patch!

Da Beers.

A nice pair.

Pretzels and Honey/Thyme Brie dip

Cheers!

Cheezy

Thanksgiving meatballs and gravy.

Learning about Leif 

Buffalo pinwheels on cole slaw

Hot Dogs!!!

Chicago style;)

Bad picture but delicious Pumpkin Soup!

Cinnamon roll and home made grapefruit sorbet/ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment