Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Week 4: Packers vs. Colts

It was another disappointing week of football. And taking on Indianapolis was supposed to be one of our "easy" games. So much for that. The Colts played a great game. We did not.
I've been trying to figure what it is that is so different from last year. We have mostly the same guys, the same coaches, if anything an easier schedule. So what could it be? I think it's motivation. I think it's a mind thing. there is a loss of focus. And the more they loose the worse it's becoming. (I believe that is why statistically teams that go 1 and 4 almost never make the playoffs. They loose hope early on and they quit trying even thought the season is only a quarter done.) They seem a little less technical in their play, a little "flabby" in their execution, and sloppy. The defense has come close to making some great plays, but they keep falling short and making rookie mistakes. The receivers have come close to making great catches but close doesn't count. They seem slower and out of sync. The offensive line seems bewildered and embarrassed. Nobody seem excited to be out on the field. And it's not just one side of the ball, it's pretty much the whole team. The only guys I really feel like are playing hard are Rodgers, Matthews, Cedric Benson (who is now injured) and James Jones. I can SEE their effort on the field, but with everyone else it's sort of...blah.
I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't know what else it could be. There is no excuse for being 2 and 3. We have too many good players for that to be the case. I know we should actually be 3 and 2, because of the fiasco in Seattle, but even so. We have the best receiving core in the league. We have Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews! We have Dom Capers and Mike McCarthy....why is this not working?
Part of it could be the play on the field, but most of it is mental I think. At least at this point. I feel like in addition to practicing this week the team needs to sit down and re-discover what motivates teams to win. I think they need to step back and take a minute to remind themselves, who they are as individual players, and as a team. Somehow I think the guys have lost their perspective, they've lost confidence. I think they've gotten bogged down in other peoples expectations, and the hype. But that's not who any of them are. And if I know that, then they should be able to figure it out. And they need to. Soon.
The Packers need a "reset". They need to shake off these first five games, and take the field next week with a focused solidarity and a clear vision of who they, and the Green Bay Packers are, and what they are capable of. If they do, I guarantee they will be victorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment