Ammonite

Ammonite

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Happy Thankstoberfestoween!!!



The weather out here in California finally broke! It's almost 20 degrees cooler than it was two days ago, and breezy just like I wanted. It's a good thing too since I have a lot of fall things to do this weekend for the upcoming holiday. I had an epiphany this week concerning the holidays, and in fact that's what I want to write about today. But let me back up a minute and start from the beginning.
First all I don't feel like there are enough of them. Holidays I mean. There are 365 days in the year and what, like 10 holidays? Doesn't that seem wrong to anyone else? And then they are not evenly distributed, at least not the good ones. It's like Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, bam, bam, BAM! And then it's SNORE through Valentines Day (lame) and Easter (also lame)...all the way till...Labor Day? And that's mostly an excuse not to go into work and to eat hot dogs. And finally there is the problem that the few holidays there are often don't fall on dates that are conducive to the schedule of my busy, spread all over the place, family.
I thought to myself there really should be more holidays, and I specifically wish there was one that fell on October 20th. (That is when most of my immediate family will be in town for a couple days.) And then it hit me! ALL holidays were originally made up by someone right? And all it took was for everyone else to go along with it. So why can't I make up some of my own holidays?!? Then all I have to do is a.) convince everyone I'm not crazy, and b.) get them to participate. Simple! And why can't I make the date of my first holiday October 20th?! I tell you I was so excited I almost tried to jump in the air and click my heels together just like they do in cartoons when something really exciting happens! This may literally be the best idea I've EVER had!
And that's the story of how I invented Thankstoberfestoween. It's the best of the Autumn holidays all rolled into one, and it just so happens to fall on October 20th this year. Excellent timing!
I know what your thinking. And you're right, it's not totally original, but I'm new at this, and since this is my first time inventing a holiday, I believe I should be cut a little creative slack;)
So how exactly does one celebrate Thankstoberfestoween you may ask? Well, the main festivities revolve around a large meal in the middle of the day utilizing the bounty of the Autumn harvest, and ends with a pub crawl downtown to sample seasonal brews. Activities may or may not include fall-themed pumpkin carving and pumpkin seed roasting, beer pong with candy corns instead of balls, and large quantities of micro-brewed beer. There is only one long standing "tradition" that anyone really needs to know about (that goes way back to Tuesday when I invented it) and that is you must wear a turkey hat to the Thankstoberfestoween dinner table,or you may not participate in the meal. *Gasp! Oh no!* But it's true, and 100% enforced. It could be a hat in the shape of a turkey, a hat with a picture of a turkey on it, a hat made out of turkey feathers, a budget friendly turkey cap made out of paper bags and pipe cleaners, a fedor with a turkey on it holding a little sign protesting the eating turkey, or any combination of the above. Decorations for the holiday are a combination of all things Autumn, including but not limited to: pumpkins, spooky bats, rats, cats, hay bales, scare crows, brightly colored leaves, harvest squashes, whatever! Kind of like the clearance bin at the store once the Christmas stuff gets put out. Super fun!

This is my first holiday, but you can rest assured there will be many more now that I've discovered my hidden calling in life. I'm giving serious thought to the idea of un-birthdays (also not original,but maybe I can think of an original way to celebrate it!). I think everyone should have one in addition to their regular birthday. Celebrating our friends and family and showering them with nice cards and well wishes shouldn't only happen once a year. It should AT LEAST occur bi-annually.
And I need a holiday for mid January/ early February, since there is such void there. If you have any ideas pass them my way. Or better yet, make up your own!

Hope you all have a great Thankstoberfestoween this year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment