Ammonite

Ammonite

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Week 4 Packers vs. Saints

I realize that I missed posting a blog about week two when we played the Bears. And I know that a commentary on a game with our arch division rivals would have been nice, but I was on vacation! I had so much else going on! But I will comment briefly on that before skipping to this past week.
I thought the defense played great. As a Packers fan, there isn't a more beautiful thing than seeing Clay Matthews gigantic arms wrapped around Jay Cutler. And I believe he got 2.5 sacks in that game. NICE. Offense wasn't where where it was last year, and that was disappointing, but over all I thought it was a great game. Although that might have had more to do with the fact that a.) I was on vacation, b.) I was with close friends and family, c.) they had Bells 2 Hearted Ale on draft, and d.) that I was experiencing my first adventure at Buffalo Wild Wings. Any way you look at it though, the fact remains that we beat our division rivals.
Now skipping ahead to this past week. I thought the first half of the game was great. The offense got to work their no-huddle magic, and after "committing to the run" for a the first couple of drives, the passing game took off.
I guess I should take a minute to talk about Cedric Benson. It's hard to say that he's improved our running game, but at the same time I don't think it's for lack of effort or skill. After watching him run these past few weeks, I get the sense like he has had to fight like hell for every yard he's gained. After some contemplation I have come to wonder if that's because the offensive line is unaccustomed to having to block for a runner since Rodgers mostly passes the ball? I guess I don't know. But I do have this to say: he has gotten better (from averaging 1 yard to about 4), and he has held on to the ball. He's not going to take us to the Super Bowl, but he won't cost us games either. I just wish he could break away for a 20 yard rush! That would really help our strategy.
Going back to the rest of the offense. To be honest I thought Rodgers was spot on. He had a good game. There were a couple dropped passes, and an interception, but I don't feel like...I don't think that he was off. James Jones had a freaking terrific night! That last catch that sealed the game...shoot! I still don't know how you catch a ball when you can't even see it, but he did. He was really great. I know I've said in the past that I don't trust him in critical situations. Well, I still don't, but I'm beginning to see a fluidity in his catches, and an ease in running his routes that I didn't before, and so I'm wondering if he's just settling in now. I have a better feeling about him now than I ever have. So that could be good stuff.
Randal Cobb also did great. Despite that I still hold reservations about him. Don't ask me why because I don't know.
Jordy Nelson had a couple of good plays, but he also lost a couple balls. I have a soft spot for him though because at the beginning of last season I KNEW he was going to be awesome (and that's why I wanted his jersey for Xmas) and then he was, and he is not as show-offy on or off the field...but anyway, he missed a couple catches which bummed me out...a little.
Grahm Harrell's debut was a freaking disaster! I know there is no way I could have known how awful it would be, but I tell you I had a feeling like it was going to be ugly. And it was. It was hideous. But enough of that.
Onto the D!
Well, I guess I should start by acknowledging that they allowed 400+ yards. NOT GOOD. But then I tried to look on the bright side and came up with this. 1.) Drew Brees was QB. He's a gun slinger, and he's so good. 2.) We almost came up with a bunch of picks, but we just couldn't quite get there.
The play that stands out the most (unfortunately) is the one where Morgan Burnett stripped the ball form his fellow Packer Tramon Williams and cost us an interception, but...well, I think that in the heat of the moment the whole idea is to get the ball away from everyone else. It was a missed opportunity for sure, but...Then the Pack made a few pretty great goal line stands. And that is much harder to do than a lot of people realize. They were great defensive moments for sure!
There were a few penalties I didn't like. Don't get me wrong, I am glad the real refs are back, but...well, if they make the same bad calls then...what's the real difference?
The worst one was when they called the punt return (by NO) down by contact when it was CLEARLY a fumble. But I'm not going to blame the refs for this one. Coach McCarthy made an awful challenge in the beginning of the game that he shouldn't have. And if he would have saved that challenge he would have won it on the mentioned play. As it was, the Packers had no challenges left to argue the call that could have made the win much less stressful. It was a bad call, but if McCarthy had been more cautious, he could have challenged it.
We squeaked by with a win. But it wasn't pretty, on either side of the ball. The offense came out strong, but the Harrell fumble changed the momentum. And the defense that played fairly well against Chicago gave up 400+ yards!?!
I say this every week, and I'll say it again. I love my Packers. That being said, I think...I think they have more to show than they have so far this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment