Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, August 20, 2012

Preseason Game 2

Rookie WR Jarrett Boykin
I hate to begin a post with OMG, but I'm afraid it's the only acronym that adequately describes my exasperation concerning the Packers and their performance in game 2 of the preseason. What the heck?! We loose by 25 points to Cleveland? Seriously? It's embarrassing (no offense to the Browns). I know that it's mostly the backups that played, but is that really supposed to offer me any comfort at this point? They are the guys that will have to take over the team if any of the starters get hurt! And they were terrible! The first string guys did OK, but almost everyone else was just awful. Our back up QB Graham Harrell has me pretty worried. He threw 2, almost three, interceptions. And we ended both the first half and the game with interceptions! Boo. I mean at this point, if Rodgers goes down, I'd probably be a better back up quarterback than the one we've got on the roster. I am not trying to be mean, and I know it's hard for the back up guys because they don't get as many reps or as much consistency with whom they play with, but still. They need to step up, or do something, they are professional football players after all. I am glad I am not Mike MaCarthy right now. I'd be so stressed out.
So it was another flop of a week. I almost didn't make it through the whole game, but I forced myself to hang on till the bitter, bitter, end, which I mentioned was an interception thrown by our 3rd backup QB. It was his only play of the game. Boo again. 
There was one light in the abyss that was our second string offense, and that was wide receiver Jarrett Boykin. He made some great plays, and in my opinion is going to be a much better performer than Randall Cobb (who everyone thinks is the new up-and-coming wide out). I think Cobb is a lot like James Jones, he makes too many mistakes at critical times and if I were the coach, I'm not sure I'd keep either of them on the team. But we will see. Hopefully they will prove me wrong. But mark my words, Boykin will do well.
One final thought I have is I thought BJ Smith filled in great for the injured Desmond Bishop at the linebacker position. I was a little worried after hearing Bishop would be out for a while, but I think Smith has it under control. Wheew. That's good news. 
We play the Bengals on Thursday. I wish I believed in luck or karma or psychic energy, because then I could send some their way. But I don't. So I guess I'm just going to have to rely on their abilities to improve and do better. Come on guys! You are the Packers. Lets get it done this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment