Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, June 4, 2012

Amok, Amuk

I am reading How the Mind Works by Stephen Pinker for book club tonight. And while the first half kind of dragged on forever, the second half has been a real treat.
One interesting thing I learned is the origin of the word amok, as in "to run amok". While I think most English speakers take this word to mean "trouble" or "get into trouble" it's actually based on the Malay word amuk, which describes the state of a man after he has been hurt, shamed or wronged in some way, and the means by which he relieves himself of his depression and reestablishes himself within his society. It it defined as follows:
A psychotic disturbance characterized by depression followed by a manic urge to murder.
Maybe it is similar to the state which in U.S.courts is defined as "temporary insanity". At any rate, I am not sure I will ever use this term again, now that I know what it means. And fingers crossed I never make the acquaintance of someone who has truly run amok.

No comments:

Post a Comment