Ammonite

Ammonite

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Right in the Face!

I've really been enjoying my kickboxing classes. The workouts are off the charts, and I am pretty sure I have never sweat so much in my life! And despite the Dalmatian-like bruises that constantly cover my arms, I love the physicality of it.This past Monday though, I came across my first real difficulty...My first two actually.
We were asked to do drills where we (gently!) punch our partner in the face! The idea is to get us used aiming at a head (as opposed to sparring pads) and to get the other person used to a giant black boxing glove coming towards their face. Even though I was doing it very gently I found it almost impossible to purposefully try to hit someone in the face! I could feel the years of conditioning against what I was doing pulling at my arm every time I tried to land a punch. It was so weird. I winced every time I tried it, and couldn't help but laugh nervously the whole time. It was really strange.
And the only thing less natural to me than punching someone in the face is letting someone else punch ME in the face. Again, I am using the word "punch" loosely. But still, not only was one big black glove swinging toward my nose, but there were two! And I had to fight from closing my eyes every time on came near me. My instincts were to drop to the floor and cover my head. But we are supposed to defend ourselves and even retaliate! Whatever. I could barely keep my head up and eyes open!
It was totally awesome though. My BF was the first person I ever punched in the face, and he was the first person to ever punch me in the face! LOL...I guess the saying is true. There really is a first time for everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment