Ammonite

Ammonite

Monday, June 25, 2012

The Trees Knees

One of the things I've observed on my travels into the wilderness is that I notice things I don't normally. One of the main things that I always am amazed by are the trees. I know I have them around my house, and they are pretty much everywhere I go, but for some reason I feel that in the city I don't see trees really.
But that is not in the wilderness. Perhaps it's because they are the only thing to look at besides rocks, but I notice them more, the different varieties, the subtle differences in the shape of leaves and needles, the texture of bark, the million colors that fall somewhere on the color wheel between red and brown.
Even dead they are magnificent, like fallen Titans. Their colors and insides are a patchwork of shapes, and patterns. Their twisted and gnarled roots are more graceful and artistic than some of the best sculptures I 've ever seen. You don't know how many tree stumps I wished I could pick up and carry home with me! They were just so beautiful.
Here are a few of my attempts to capture the artistry that nature so nonchalantly scatters about the high Sierra!











2 comments:

  1. Oh, I have some tree pics I have to show you - you will love them they are so other worldly and crazy. Got to find them first...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see them when you find them...where were the photos taken?

    ReplyDelete